Developments in the Field
- Sun Guard is a laundry additive for domestic use which can be applied to garments to provide a UPF of 30. https://sunguardsunprotection.com/index.php
- Advances in finishing techniques are enabling the enhanced efficiency of adding UV absorbers or blockers at the finishing stage. Lowering the use of water and energy and providing greater durability, Plasma technology is being explored as a means of providing this functionality.
- Nano finishes are being increasingly explored for their ability to add a range of durable functional finishes, including that of UV resistance.
- Nano-diamond structures are being explored as UV resistance finishes on fibres, http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nn800445z
- Schoeller® Technology recently launched Coldblack® a finishing technology that allows dark colours to not absorb heat while exposed to UV rays?, also providing a protective function. http://www.coldblack.ch/index.php?id=49
A quite general introduction to UV and fabrics is given in “Engineering apparel fabrics and garments”, J. Fan, Woodhead Publishing, CRC Press, 2009.